The ‘Live Sports Direction’ course incorporates the essence of HBS’s experience of working on world-class sporting events and uses state-of-the-art EVS broadcast technology that replicates an outside broadcast environment to replace expensive production infrastructures.
In Partnership with the National Film & Television School
Date: 14-18 March 2022
Number of Places: 10
Duration: 5 Days
Course Fee: 1795£ (Freelance rate) 1995£ (Corporate rate)
How to Apply: Please fill out the registration form listed at the bottom of the page.
*In case of non-participation, we follow a non-refund policy, for avoidance of doubt in case of non-participation no refund will be done by Broadcast Academy to the user. If Broadcast Academy cancels the course, participants are entitled to a full refund.
* Only shortlisted applicants will be invited to participate in this course.
The ‘Live Sports Direction’ course incorporates the essence of HBS’s experience of working on world-class sporting events and uses state-of-the-art EVS broadcast technology that replicates outside broadcast environment to replace expensive production infrastructures.
This objective of this training is to benefit those who would like to take on the lead role in Sports Direction, practice the art of storytelling, and handle different camera formations. The theoretical and practical aspects of the course aim to encourage and develop the expertise and creativity of participants. The course will focus on football, tennis and handball.
- To adopt the best practice for sports story telling across slow motion and replays in football, tennis and handball
- Understand the use of different cameras in a live sports production
- Develop the ability to undertake medium to large productions
- Understand various roles in a production team and work effectively as a team
- Able to effectively use the configured EVS XT3 and X-One
Sample Course Plan
Note: The below course agenda is for reference purposes only.
|Day 1: Theory & Practise
Day 2: Theory & Practise
Day 3: Practise
Practise session on the Live TV Simulator session and EVS replay system ─ Direct a Tennis match
Day 4: Theory & Practise
Day 5: Practise & Conclusion
John Watts, Executive Sports Producer & Director
John Watts is one of the world’s most experienced multi-camera live sports directors. He has directed the host broadcast coverage at the FIFA World Cup™, UEFA Champions League, Rugby World Cup, Olympics, etc. He has won a BAFTA award and received 10 nominations, plus four Royal Television Society awards and an RTS Fellowship.
For more information about our experts, please click here.
The Professional Equipment
Live TV Simulator XT3
Based on EVS technology, the XT3 Live TV Simulator is a tool to re-create the experience of live direction within a controlled environment. It includes two EVS XT3 live video servers with two remotes and an IP director – enabling up to 12 ISO camera feeds in High Definition 1080i format for ingest/playout, instant replay and slow-motion tools and a Dyvi live video switcher. The system allows a single production operator to create replays, control audio, cut together a live feed with a built-in video switcher and even add graphics to live programming.
The X-One enables up to 6 ISO camera feeds in High Definition 1080i format for ingest/playout. Based on EVS technology of X-One, the Unified Live Production Simulator can import any other media files. X-One features a contextualised user interface (UI) that adapts to the type of production on which it is deployed. This allows a single operator to manage graphics, audio and replays with ease.
Social Distancing Policies
- Broadcast Academy session facilities allow for sufficient social distancing of attendees, and other safeguards such as reduced attendance, personal hygiene protocols and enhanced cleaning.
- Seating – maintain 6 feet of distance between participants workplaces – when seating at the switcher- compulsory to wear mask.
- Any symptoms of coronavirus – cough and cold, fever etc will be treated as serious. Participants will not be allowed to attend the course with the symptoms unless there is reliable COVID-19 testing available to rule out the possibility. Broadcast academy cannot guarantee any refund of course once started as all participants will need to have their own medical/health insurance before attending the course.
- All participants will require to complete travel history (up to 1 month) prior to the course dates.
- All participants will confirm if they have had any antibody test prior to attending the course.
- All participants will be required to adhere to the social distancing policies and Broadcast Academy and its partners will have the right to refuse entry to the course venue to anyone found violating the policy.
Note: The above social distancing policies may be subject to change as per the government’s guidelines to be announced in the future.
Broadcast Academy will endeavour to ensure minimal risks due to the current Covid-19 situation. At any given time, keeping in mind the health and security of our participants, we may organise certain sessions online, and the rest, particularly the practical aspect of the training, face-to-face. The participants will be notified prior to any such changes in the method of delivery of the courses.
Comments From the Past Sessions
“The course gave me practical help to learn how to direct major sports events, and to take this next step in my career.”
“Thank you for the excellent training session!”
“It is important for women to not shy away from opportunities and to acquire skills, confidence and experience to rise in this field.”
“John and the rest of the team were great and it was useful to meet professionals from so many parts of the world. It was the best training he has ever had and I do not disagree with him.”