LIVE SPORTS DIRECTION
- Venue: EVS HQ-Liège, Belgium
- Date: TBC 2020
- Number of places: 10
- Duration: 5 days
- Course Fee: 2,200 Euros
How to Apply: Please fill out the registration form below.
1.) Course Information
EVS and Broadcast Academy launch a Live Sports Direction programme course at EVS headquarters in Liège, Belgium. The ‘Live Sports Direction’ course incorporates the essence of HBS’s experience of working on world-class sporting events and uses state-of-the-art EVS broadcast technology that replicates outside broadcast environment to replace expensive production infrastructures.
This objective of this training is to benefit those who would like to take on the lead role in Sports Direction, practice the art of storytelling, and handle different camera formations. The theoretical and practical course aims to encourage and develop the expertise and creativity of participants.
Sample Course Plan
Day 1: Theory
- Fundamentals of multi-camera live sport production-Operations, Personnel & Equipment
- Team leader & communicator. Prior to the OB – site visit, camera positions, etc.
- Cameras cutting & storytelling
- Managing the priorities and guidelines
- Match Coverage philosophy
- Other Match Deliverables
Day 2: Theory & Practise
- Introduction to the Live TV Simulator
- Practise sessions on the Live TV Simulator using production switcher and EVS replay system. Direct a football match using up to 12 camera feeds
- Case Study: Review a football match, create a camera plan and explain their philosophy of directing/storytelling of some major incidents.
Day 3: Practise
Practise session on the Live TV Simulator session and EVS replay system ─ Direct a football match
Day 4: Practise
Practise session on the Live TV Simulator session and EVS replay system ─ Other sports like Basketball/Handball/Tennis
- Assignment submission by each Participant
- Trainer feedback to all participants
- Practical exercises on the Live TV Simulator
- Evaluation of the session, certificates distribution & closing ceremony
*Note: The above course agenda is for reference purposes only.
- Aimed at those entering into the field of sports directing and replay operations.
- Possess an understanding of the laws of different kinds of sports
- Prior work experience in the field of broadcasting.
- Have a general technical understanding of the use of various broadcast equipment in live directing.
Broadcast Academy Course Application
2.) Broadcast Academy Expert: Jean-Charles Vankerkoven, Live Multi-Camera Director
Jean-Charles Vankerkoven is a Live Multi-Camera Director having years of experience in Live Sports Directing. He has been part of several FIFA Worlds CupsTM and UEFA EURO Championships. He had been a TV Match Director at FIFA Women’s World Cup France 2019™, UEFA EURO 2016 (4K) & 2012 (3D), French Ligue 1 (2002-2012), Belgium Pro-League (1992 – 2003) and UEFA Europa League.
He has been involved in multi-sports coverage for beIN Sports (Al Jazeera Sports) and Al Kass Sports Channel in Qatar (2003 – 2010). For 9 years now, he is the TV Match Director for TF1 (French National Team) and RTL Sport Belgium (UEFA Champions League). He has been a Consultant for HBS, IMG and TV channels offering expertise in live sports broadcasting and visual design.
For more information about our experts, please click here.
3.) Live TV Simulator
The Live TV Simulator is one of a kind as it includes live video servers – enabling up to 16 ISO camera feeds for ingest/playout, instant replay and slow-motion tools and a Dyvi live video switcher that can be used by multiple trainees simultaneously.
It ensures maximum efficiency in production teams’ preparations for coverage of any live sporting. The system can be configured to playout pre-recorded isolated cameras or connect to an OB truck for off-line live production. The equipment is used in various configurations to simulate training environment for broadcasters, federations and TV professionals.
Each member of the directing team has, as part of detailed feedback, the opportunity to revisit their broadcast and assess where any improvements can be made.
For more information, please click here.
Comments from previous participants:
“The course was an eye-opener, the challenge is now on us as individuals to implement and share what we have learned. I am so grateful for the skills I have acquired.”(Josephine Mankfu Talla, Director, Cameroon Radio Television)
“Thank you for the excellent training session. John and the rest of the team were great and it was useful to meet professionals from so many parts of the world.”(Andres Torres, EVS Operator, Al Kass)